Sunday, March 21, 2010

How To Be


Mum, Dad, This is Dr. Ellington. He's going to make me be more normal...


Life is rough when your a vampire, killed by Voldemort's wand, then dumped for a werewolf. Yeah.... I think I got that right. In the movie How To Be Robert Pattinson, aka Edward,aka Cedric Diggory, plays Art. He is a young adult struggling with what to do with his life. He's out of college and wants to be a musician, but he is no good at it. He is depressed and his parents act as if he is a piece of furniture. He searches for meaning and finds it in a book by Dr. Ellington. He spend $5000 to get the Dr. to come stay with him and help him figure out his life.

I spent most of this movie wondering who was right Art, or his parents. Who should we blame for Art being odd, or was it his parents that were odd. Art works random jobs trying to find his place. He turns to advice from his friend Ronny. Ronny was my favorite person in the movie. Robert did a great job, but Ronny was very enjoyable to watch. He was the sage advisor for Art. While Ronny was no success and had struggle of his own, he seemed to offer the best advice.

Dr. Ellington follows Art around for a few weeks and offers him metaphors and thoughts, but no real advice. You begin to wonder where this movie is going to end up until the last 10 minutes of the movies. Robert Pattinson does a good job at playing a lost twenty something. I kept waiting for the moment when I would roll my eyes and say to myself that this guy was trying to hard to be weird, but I think he is a it odd on his own. This was a much better film than that twilight debacle. In this film I was never embarrassed for the characters for having to say their lines.
While not my favorite movie this year it was not as bad as it could have been.

6 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment