Monday, March 15, 2010

Forever Strong


So it's kinda like a mix between Soccer and football?
Actually it's kind of like Rugby.

I don't know anything about rugby, but I really like this movie. I was sure that it would be good considering it's cast consisted of Sean Austin, Gary Cole, Neal McDonough and staring Sean Faris. I was hooked when I saw the trailer. I will not lie it does have it's moments when you feel like it's more of a stay off drugs high school special than a coming of age film. I felt like I was watching a church movie at times. The rugby moments, however, are great.

This story is based on actual events. The story of a young man named Rick who is the star player of the rugby team. He is popular, good looking and is mixed up in drugs and alcohol. After and unfortunate accident he is sent to Utah to a juvenile detention center. There he is urged to go play for his rival team, the famed Highland rugby team. There he learns a new way to play and live his life.

The acting is good. The main character, rick has his rough spots, but does a good job overall. I can't be too rough him when you are surrounded by a great cast. Sean Austin is great as a counselor at the detention center and Gary Cole does a good job as the Highland rugby coach. Neal McDough is his usual weasel of character. The guy you love to hate.

I like the music and shots during the action. The rugby is great. I enjoyed the time he spends with the Highland Team as well. The characters on the team are a lot of fun. You have the Rosta and the Polynesian players that keep the film humorous and the guys who make you feels a part of the family. As always each family has their problems and their secrets.

8.5 out of 10

1 comment: