Saturday, March 27, 2010

Fantastic Mr. Fox


You should probably put your bandit hat on now. Personally, I- I don't have one, but I modified this tube sock.

We Look Good.

Yes, We do.


I can't tell you how excited I was when I found out that Wes Anderson was making a movie that I could watch with my son. I love his movies, but usually have watch them edited since they are all rated R. Wes Anderson was the Director who began my love with movies. I saw Rushmore with my wife's family at a family reunion and loved it. It was all downhill from there. In a good way.

This film had the Wes Anderson regulars including: Bill Murray, Jason Schwartzman, Owen Wilson and Eric Anderson, who is Wes's brother. From the opening credits you could tell it was a Anderson film, by the music and solid color titles. This film had many more of Wes's signature themes including the dry humor.

Fantastic Mr Fox is based on the book by Roald Dahl, the guy who wrote Charlie and The Chocolate Factory. The film is about a fox, voiced by George Clooney, Who when he is caught and finds out Mrs. Fox is pregnant he gives up his life as a thief. Two years later (7 fox years) He decides it's time for one last job. What ensues is a barrage of dry jokes, and great characters.

I have never read the book ,but would be interested to read it to see how true the film is to it. One of the first things I noticed that kept me laughing throughout the film was his replacement words for swearing. He uses the word "Cuss" in place of everything. 'Why the cuss are we doing this?" I would laugh and my son would ask what was so funny. It just fit perfectly into a Wes Anderson film. He could use this in his older films and it would not seem out of place.

Jason Schwartzman plays Mr Fox's son Ash. He is probably my favorite. He reminds me of Max from Rushmore. He feels under appreciated by his parents, and overshadowed by his cousin Kristofferson. He has a chip on his should and he make each encounter a bit awkward. I loved it.

My son's like this movie and I defiantly did. I was glad to get a copy to add to my video collection. If you are a crossover indie movie fan, or like Wes Anderson you will want to check this movie out.

8.14 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment