Thursday, March 18, 2010

Dear Jack


Lets get started...My name is Andrew Mcmahon; a leukemia patient.


Andrew Mcmahon was at the top of his game. his new band, Jack's Mannequin, was ready to release a cd that was a sure hit. His last band Something Corporate was still fresh on everyone under the age 20's ipod. He could sing and he was an amazing piano player. Then the rug was ripped out from under him. Hew was diagnosed with leukemia.

I first learned that Andrew had leukemia when I was reading my favorite music magazine. There was a small article telling about the situation. A year later there was an article following up on Andrew's story and told of a video that he had made. He documented his experience from the beginning. The article said that it would probably never be released. I was very excited to find out a year later that it was released and available to see.

The documentary is narrated by the famous Motley Crue drummer, Tommy Lee. Tommy and Andrew became friends before this as Tommmy played drums on the first Jack's Mannequin album. I can't make any comment on the acting because there is none. What you get is the hard truth about leukemia patients. We see Andrew as he prepare for his first round of radiation and Chemo. We see him cut his long hair, knowing that it would be falling out soon anyway. we are spared many scenes of him vomiting and suffering, because he can't hold the camera. We see him brush his teeth with a sponge, because a toothbrush would destroy his them. He bathes with a washcloth and brushes his hair each night with a lint roller which pulls out clumps of hair. we see him lose a lot of weight and become a shadow of himself. We also see him suffer emotionally as he admits for the first time that he is scared of what could happen.

Andrew is not the only one who speaks in the movies. His wife, mom, dad, manager and his sister all have their chance to tell their story. His sister was a bone marrow doner for him and we hear of the support of his family, friends and fans throughout the ordeal.

I found myself wondering how I would handle it if I were in this situation or, God forbid, a member of my family were diagnosed. I know how worthless I am when I'm sick with the flu. Would I be able to carry on for weeks or months at a time. I think that is the mark of a good documentary; a film that allows you to put yourself in their situation, and ask the tough questions. Would I make it?

I liked this documentary a lot. It was not as hard to watch as I had expected it was going to be. I don't think I could have handled a 2 hour film about the pains of radiation and chemotherapy. Instead it was a 1 hour doc about a fantastic musician who with the support of his family battled and unseen villain.

8.5 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment