Sunday, August 7, 2011

Soul Surfer




"I don't need easy. I just need possible."




I wanted this movie to be good. I really did. It did have it's good moments. I liked the surfing. I liked the settings. It was even full of great actors like Dennis Quaid, Helen Hunt and starred AnnaSophia Robb. A movie about a shark attack survivor and her struggle to get back into surfing. If I could change one thing to make this film a much, much better film it would have to cast Mandy Moore in place of Carrie Underwood, or better yet just leave her character out of the movie altogether.

The movie is a true story about Betheny Hamilton a teenage girl who lives and surfs in Hawaii. One day as she is surfing with friend she is attacked by a shark. She loses her left arm. This may seem like a gruesome scene to show in a family film, but they don't show much. The attack lasts all of two seconds. Her recovery process was pretty good. I'm sure that hearing about it from the real Betheny would be better, This movie became a bit too Born-again for me. I'm glad they had a deep faith and that it helped them through it, but most scenes that had her church group were pretty annoying. The story was good enough on its own.

It is a good story overall. I like the tender moments and the scary moments. Unfortunately I liked the idea of this movie more than the actual movie. It is a good family film though. The morals it teaches are great. The support of a family, friends, and a whole community. It teaches kids that all things are possible with determination, support and a little faith. Betheny went on to be a National champion surfer with only one arm. She is an inspiration to many and continues to serve others.

5 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment