Sunday, July 31, 2011

Cowboys & Aliens




"Here Jake, don't ferget yer gun. I always liked you best."



The day I saw the trailer for Cowboys and Aliens I thought..Yes!!!
I was not disappointed. Many critics said that this did not work for them. I don't see how. I sat in the theater with my friends John, Jon and Jonathan (I could find any more people named John)and all seemed to enjoy it. How could you not there was something for everyone. For girls there was Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford. For the kids there was the kid who played the Avatar in The Last Airbender (still rubbish by the way, but a little better.) and for the guys there were cowboys, aliens and... Olivia Wilde.

The story is about a cowboy named Jake(good name by the way) who wakes up in the desert. He doesn't now how he got there or what his name is. I wondered where his boots were. He has a metal bracelet on him that he can't get off. We have to wait all but two minutes before he beats the junk out of three bandits and there is action from there until the end. Jake heads into a nearby town to get some clothes and clean up a bit. Like all westerns he ends up in a bar. A beautiful Olivia Wilde walks up to him and looks at him as if she knows him better than he does. Then the usual western bar scene fight. Jake gets cross ways with the rich kid in town played fantastically by Paul Dano. He is amazing at playing a creepy, dirt bag. When his father finds out that his son is in jail he comes to get him out and then the action really starts.

The aliens show in in theirs ships and start to blow the town up. People get roped and hauled away. Jake's bracelet comes to life and he is able to shoot down a ship releasing one of the aliens. The rest of the movie is them chasing after the aliens as they try to get their loved ones back.

The area that the film was shot in New Mexico were beautiful. Some of the shots through the canyons were some of the best I've seen. The aliens looked a lot like the one from super eight. These things were fast and violent. There was humor in the film also. I mean... come on it is a movie about cowboys and aliens. There has to be a little humor involved.

I was not disappointed with this movie. I was enjoyable, a few scares and some thrills too. No a bad way to spend two hours.

8 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment