Friday, July 16, 2010

The Sorcerer's Apprentice


"I'm afraid of flying on planes."
"Well today's you lucky day 'cause I brought and eagle."

After one week of playing tour guide in DC for my family my wife said she wanted to go see a movie. All I wanted was a nap. She finally convinced me to go to a movie. My conditions: (1.)no chick flick and (2.)Tade had to come with us. So we narrowed down to Karate Kid and The Sorcerer's Apprentice(TSA). I thought TSA would be more humorous since it had Jay Baruchel, from How To Train Your Dragon and I'm Reed Fish, and since Nicholas Cage is OK I decided on that one. It was an added bonus that the potential love interest was Teresa Palmer, from cute blonde who played the Hotel heiress from Bedtime Stories.

After coming off of The Last Airbender I was not a hard person to please. I don't know if I like it because it was good or if I was desperate to have it removed from my subconscious.

The Story is about a guy named Dave who is a distant relative of Merlin the Magician and the "chosen" one to defeat the evil...(witch?)who is trapped in a nesting doll. Yes, I'm serious a nesting doll. Dave meets Nicholas Cage's character, Balthazar, who because his "Master" and trains him, or begins to train him, on how to be what he is destined to be, and to prepare him for his fated battle against the evil Morgana.

The movie is filled with cliche's and semi funny jokes. I was willing to forgive them for that thanks to great effects and the quick humor of Dave. Over all I actually really like the film. Again, it was because of the quick wit of Dave and Balthazar. My son liked it and Heather did too. I recommend it if you are looking for two hours of AC, some popcorn and a few good laughs go ahead and check it out.

7.43 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment