Sunday, January 2, 2011

Charlie St. Cloud



"Nobody ever gets to see what could have been."

My wife has been waiting for Charlie St. Cloud to come on dvd. When she said she wanted to see the new Zach Efron movie, I tuned her out. Later, when I saw a trailer for it and realized it was about a guy who plays catch with his dead brother every night I was a bit intrigued.

The location for this film was Vancouver, BC. The scenery was beautiful. I though most of it was a painting or CGI. The scenes with the sailboats where great. The landscape shot were great.

Charlie St. Cloud, played by Zach Efron, loses his younger brother in a car accident and gets a second chance at life. His dead brother keep the promise made in life to show up each night at sunset to practice baseball. He later meets (re meets) a girl named Tess, and Charlie is faced with the decision to continue to live in the past or to move on.

This movie was much better than imagined. Probably because it got panned by every critic, which usually means it was not that bad. I like the storyline. It is a very short and probably very obvious story, but it was good. I liked that fact that it was only 90 mins. long. I found the roles enjoyable. I liked the small role of the British friend. The younger brother was pretty good. He had his good moments. I found the love interest, Tess played by Amanda Crew, was very easy to watch. Very easy on the eyes. The acting by here was okay. A little forced, but I will overlook that.


You can tell this was adapted from a book because some of the lines were a bit too good. There would be a normal conversation then some great line would pop up. The best line was said by charlie's brother at the end of the film.
"I'm okay Charlie. I'd give anything for you to see me. What I've become, but no one could forget what it could have been."

7 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment