Saturday, May 22, 2010

Leap Year



"What are you, the Lucky Charms Leprechaun?"

I'm married so naturally I end up seeing a lot of rom coms. I was looking forward to this one (I know, I know hear me out) because of the setting. I love movies set in Europe. I think it make me forgive the story, or lack thereof. I'll start off by saying that this was not the greatest film ever, but the countryside shots are great. I love the pub scene and the whole city versus farmers banter that you find in these films. I am willing to admit that I like movies like The Holiday and Under the Tuscan Sun, but you cannot fault me for enjoying them for the countryside shots.

Okay now that we have that cleared up we can move on. Amy Adams who plays the main character Anna has perfected the innocent/ignorant heroin routine. She waits for her boyfriend to propose and when he does not he decides to follow him to Ireland where in Leap Day a female can propose to her boyfriend. Mayhem ensues as the fates are stacked against her. She has one mmishaps after another. I should say one international travel cliche after another. How many times do we heed to watch an American try to plug in an electric object in to a European outlet? I do have to fault the writers who make this character so Naive and over the top when is come to common sense.

I loved the banter between her and the male lead, Declan, played by Matthew Goode. His part is well written and enjoyable. My wife enjoyed his performance for other reasons. She did not appreciate me leaning over to here every 15 minutes to whisper "I wonder if these two will end up together?"

The shots of the Irish countryside were great. The story was a bit painful and the ending was also a bit painful. It may sound negative, but I did like this movie. I think the banter between the two leads, along with the Irish backdrop, was fun enough to save the movie from dying a horrible rom com death.

6 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment