Friday, February 24, 2012

Being Elmo: A Puppeteer's Journey






Why do these kids need Elmo? Because Elmo needs them. Elmo is Love.



Being Elmo was a big hit this year at Sundance. It has won many awards for various documentary categories. Having heard the buzz about it I was excited to see it. It did not have a wide release. It was mostly in in dependant theaters. I did not get a chance to head into DC to go see it, so I was very happy to see it pop up so soon on Netflix.

Being Elmo is a documentary about Kevin Clash. A young man who lives just outside of Baltimore. As a kid he became fascinated with puppets and any TV show that had them. He became hooked on Muppets later and began to make his own. He put on show for the local kids, played at schools and spent time at hospitals bringing a little joy into children's lives.

Following his dream he gets a chance to meet Kermit. Jim Hensen's close friend. Kevin spends the day with him and learns how to build a proper puppet. Later Kevin has the chance to audition to be on one of his hero's TV show. Captain Kangaroo.
From there things get better.

This film is a great look into Jim Hensen's world. It is fun and emotional. It is great to see how Elmo was developed and where he started. You find yourself cheering for Kevin and smiling at many scenes. I would put this on my list as one of the best documentaries that I have seen. Definitely in the top ten. It is a fun hour and a half to spend time with these characters. This a good way to introduce documentaries to younger kids. I would like to show this to my 7yr old. I would imagine he would find this as magical as I did.

8.75 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment